BELS is focused on building and strengthening connections between our highly-accomplished expat/overseas alumni life scientists and organisations in the UK health and life sciences sector. We are also increasing awareness of this extensive talent base and the extraordinary value that can be derived from increased interaction with them–to benefit the expats/overseas alum themselves, the organisations at which they work around the globe, and the life sciences sector in the UK and globally.
The success of our expats and other overseas alumni reflects well on the UK. Equally, the strength of the UK health and life sciences can reflect well on them.
“BELS is a very attractive concept. I think many expats feel they can provide a bridgehead to the UK at many levels but lack an organization through which they can contribute.” Dr Geoffrey Cox, Principal, Beacon Street Advisers, Boston, Massachusetts
We know our most talented life scientist expats and overseas alumni, and they know us. They feel well connected to the health and life science sector in the UK, and they want to stay engaged throughout their careers.
British Expats in Life Sciences (BELS) is building and nurturing an active, strategic, global community of life science leaders who are British expatriates and other overseas alumni of UK universities, to mutually benefit them, their organisations, and the health and life sciences sector in the UK and globally.
Progress report: BELS checked the pulse of activity resulting from The Alumni Summit (BELS inaugural event in the UK) and found that exciting progress toward achieving the BELS mission is being delivered, discussions are happening, and projects are being planned. And we expect much more to come because the UK is closer to top-of-mind for the expats/overseas alumni who attended. read more
- Foster commerce and international collaboration
- Encourage, equip and enable British-trained life scientists to be part of the thriving UK life sciences sector
- Build connections between our expats/overseas alumni and the UK health and life sciences community by delivering insights, intelligence, introductions and interactions
- Serve as a portal into the UK health and life science sector and out to other global health and life science markets
- Expand UK and global links for BELS community members
- Boost collaboration, strategic partnerships, inward investment, exports, jobs and investor attention
- Inform our expats/overseas alumni of current developments in this UK sector and extend knowledge flows surrounding market insights, trends, innovation, regulation, intellectual property, reimbursement, ethics, standards, and companies
- Expand the UK’s global presence in the health and life sciences; strengthen its global image, brand, interests and impact
- Celebrate the depth and breadth of talent and achievements among our expat/other overseas alum health and life science leaders
- Encourage and enable members of our community to consider returning to the UK, on a full- or part-time basis, to play more active roles in the UK health and life sciences
- Provide a mechanism that enables expats/overseas alumni to give back to the UK
“Britain gave me a great education I would have struggled to afford in America. The US then gave me great opportunities I would have struggled to find in the UK. In every one of these I have found myself working alongside other Brits with similar experiences. Hopefully, by working together through BELS we can help our counterparts back in the UK create more of these opportunities on home soil.” Dr Vincent Miles, Partner of Abingworth Management, Waltham, Massachusetts